Whether you have a conflict resulting from a real estate transaction, business acquisition, business restructuring or divestiture, our attorneys are focused on a timely resolution. We are known for resolving complex business disputes involving the ownership of privately held companies, including shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, and limited liability company membership disputes. We understand the legal landscape and advocate aggressively for our clients.
We have represented clients in a wide array of industries including manufacturing, professional services, construction, waste and energy. We are admitted to litigate in all state and federal courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
RECENT LITIGATION HIGHLIGHTS
- Litigated questions of first impression on Rhode Island administrative law that established methods of compelling the Rhode Island Department of Health to address important issues regarding hospital licensure.
- Served as mediator resolving contentious litigation involving a 465-unit mixed use, waterfront development.
- Combined litigation and administrative law strategies to preserve the State’s only bone marrow transplant facility.
- Restructuring over $6M in mechanics’ liens on the South Street Landing Project which is designed to serve as an anchor development within the City of Providence’s Knowledge District.
- Representation of the minority interest in a family-owned, real estate holding company where, after a full trial, Mark Russo was able to ensure a successful buy-out of the minority interest.
- Successful pursuit of a multi-million dollar property tax challenge involving Twin River Casino which resulted in a stabilization agreement that saved the client approximately $5M and is a benefit to the host community.
- We represented a minority interest in a family-owned, real estate holding company. After a full trial, we forced a successful buy-out of that minority interest.
- We successfully pursued a multi-million dollar property tax challenge in a Rhode Island Superior Court. As a result of trial, in a case of first impression in the State of Rhode Island, we saved the client approximately $5 million over 8 years.
- In a shareholder litigation matter involving Paul Mitchell Cosmetology Schools located throughout the United States, we favorably resolved a dispute via an out-of-court settlement in an action in Rhode Island Superior Court.
- In a complex construction arbitration for a Rhode Island based general contractor, we successfully defended a multi-million dollar surety bond claim on a major shipyard project.
- We were successful in a full proceeding before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, where we were engaged by the Cities of Providence and East Providence to contest an LNG marine terminal that would have had an adverse impact on the waterfront development plans of both municipalities.